TerraGlas® Terra Cotta: Product Submittal Sheet
- Stromberg Architectural Products Inc.
- 4400 Oneal Street
- Greenville, TX 75401
- Phone: (903) 454-0904
- Fax: (903) 454-3642
- Website: www.TerraGlas.com
TerraGlas architectural terracotta is manufactured with terra cotta clays, aggregates, minerals and glass fibers for reinforcing. The glazes (if any) are proprietary mineral based coloring agents.
Basic Product Limitations:
TerraGlas is intended as an architectural ornament and a cladding material for columns, cornices, walls, parapets and as balustrade. It is not intended as a structural load bearing material.
TerraGlas is custom cast to match historical terra cotta elements and to meet the needs of the designer. As an engineered material, TerraGlas terra cotta can be fabricated in flat panels, column covers, coves, domes, intricate carvings, bas relief and parapets. Please contact supplier for installation details.
Final finish is generally to match the existing terra cotta or as selected by the designer and may range from a smooth glossy glazed finish to a distressed or pitted surface, depending on the customer's selection. Historic architectural terra cotta finishes and colors can be classified into 4 categories:
- Unglazed terra cotta or terra cotta with a ceramic finish other than glazed, made in various shades of buff, gray, salmon, red, and brown.
- Glazed or enameled terra cotta, or terra cotta with an impervious finish of a glassy texture which may be either lustrous or mat, sometimes designated as full or dull glazes or enamels, made in various colors.
- Granite color terra cotta may be either:
- Unglazed granite color: A mottled ceramic finish similar to unpolished granite.
- Glazed or enameled granite colors: A mottled ceramic finish similar to polished granite, made either lustrous or mat.
- Polychrome terra cotta or faience, or terra cotta having two or more colors on the same piece, may be:
- Polychrome, unglazed, or unglazed terra cotta having two or more colors in the same piece.
- Polychrome, glazed, or glazed terra cotta having two or more colors on the same piece.
- Polychrome, blended colors, made only in glazed terra cotta. In polychrome glaze work where the colors are not separated by definite lines or contours or ornaments, but are to be blended together by brush treatment, the term "polychrome, blended colors" is used.
- Fire-gilded terra cotta. Fire gilding produced a coating of gold glaze, either mat or lustrous.
The surface texture of terra cotta is generally one of the following:
- Tooled or drove
- Eight lines to the inch
- Six lines to the inch
- Light irregular drag
- Heavy irregular drag, or combing
- Special-rugged, oak bark
|Thickness of shell||From 0.35" to 1.5"|
NOTE: Piece sizes are limited by replacement needs. If replacing existing terra cotta elements with new TerraGlas pieces that tie into existing terra cotta, the size of the new pieces will need to be the same as the existing. For areas where no old terra cotta remains, larger panels, scored to replicate joints, may be used to speed installation and attachment. Material thickness varies depending on the application. Larger elements and rougher textures require greater thickness.
Colors are custom matched to the existing Terra Cotta elements.
TerraGlas is available in custom sizes, shapes, colors and textures for a more accurate match and greater design flexibility.
|Water Absorption, 24 hr, %weight gain D570||≤ 4 %|
|Compressive strength||5,000 to 15,000 psi|
|Thermal Expansion Coefficient ASTM D 696 ASTM D 696||10 x10-6 in./in./F|
|Approximate Weight||2 to 6.1 lb. per sq. ft.|
|Fire Behavior||ASTM E 84 Class A, non combustible|
The information contained in this section is based on general technical data which Stromberg Inc. believes to be reliable. It is intended for general use only by persons having knowledge of this technical area at their own discretion. Typical properties vary with stone type, color and texture.
5. Customer Service
For samples, literature, questions and/or technical assistance, please contact, Stromberg Architectural Products Inc. (903) 454-0904 Monday through Friday, 8 am –5 pm, CST.